I always want to be sure that you get fast, courteous responses to your book-specific questions. Even though I don’t check my e-mail every day, I do check it most days of the week, so that’s the fastest way to contact me regarding issues that you have with my books. Of course, you can make the response even faster by doing a few simple things when sending your email:
- Be sure to include the name of the book and the book edition in the message subject line.
- Tell me which page, figure, or listing number to look at in the book.
- Document the steps you took.
- Provide me with the exact error message you’re seeing.
- Tell me about your platform (operating system, the version of any software you’re using, and so on).
If you provide these basic pieces of information, I can usually answer your questions much faster—often without asking for additional information. E-mail communication can be difficult at times because it lacks that in person body language element and you can’t show me what you’re seeing on your machine. Remote diagnostics are harder than you might think.
It’s also important that you understand that I focus on book-specific questions. I’ve discussed this issue before in Sending Comments on My Books and Sending Comments and Asking Questions. The bottom line is that I want you to be happy with your book experience, but I also don’t have time to provide free consulting. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns about contacting me at John@JohnMuellerBooks.com.